Grilled Meatloaf with Chef Christian
Chef Christian Froelich, as a good ol’ Southern boy, has always loved the taste of a good, hearty meatloaf. The rich flavor of the beef, the savory quality added by the vegetables, and the tang of the incorporated ketchup and mustard provide a well-rounded, satisfying experience. As a largish individual, who has recently shed 70 lbs. of excess weight, Christian has a new appreciation for more nutritionally balanced eating. His recipe is a great example of a dish that takes nutrition into account and, as a result, actually improves both flavor and texture.
- Heat oil in skillet until it begins to shimmer, but not smoke.
- Combine all remaining ingredients well. Best done by hand with clean, gloved hands. If using a mixer, combine all ingredients except beef first, then add beef and mix until just combined.
- Line a loaf pan with commercial plastic wrap. Press the meatloaf mixture well into the loaf pan.
- Fold the plastic wrap over the mixture. Lay out a sheet of aluminum foil large enough to wrap the loaf. Place the loaf on the foil, and wrap tightly so the seam of the aluminum foil folds at the top.
- With a skewer, poke about 8 evenly spaced holes through each the top and the bottom of the loaf to allow excess grease to be expressed.
- For best results, at this point chill meatloaf in cooler overnight or at least 2 hours to allow oatmeal to hydrate.
- Place loaf on a baking rack inside of a pan and place in oven.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 70 – 90 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 155 degrees Fahrenheit. Try not to go too far over 155, but check a few spots to make sure entire loaf is at least 155 degrees.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes. Place Meatloaf in cooler and chill completely.
- Remove meatloaf from wrapping carefully, and slice in 8 even slices.
- Place on oiled preheated grill and cook as desired.
- Serve as an entrée with accompaniments or on a sandwich.
- Combine tobacco chipotle sauce and brown sugar in a sauce pot or kettle.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Combine with ketchup and cool completely.
- Use as directed in the recipe.
Notes: While the main recipe provided is for the meatloaf, it also works great as a sandwich with a simple Tabasco Chipotle glaze topped with fried or baked Crispy Shoestring Onions for a little more fun.
Amount per serving
Total Fat: 15g (19% dv)
Saturated Fat: 5g (25% dv)
Trans Fat: 0.5g
Cholesterol: 40mg (13% dv)
Sodium: 590mg (26% dv)
Total Carbohydrate: 15g (5% dv)
Dietary Fiber: 2g (7% dv)
Total Sugars: 2g
Added Sugars: 1g (2% dv)
Vitamin D: 0mcg (0% dv)
Calcium: 22mg (2% dv)
Iron: 1mg (6% dv)
Potassium: 180mg (4% dv)
The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Source: Harvest Table Culinary